RE: [Sip] p-asserted-identity security harmful

Euchner Martin ICN M SR 3 <Martin.Euchner@icn.siemens.de> Fri, 05 July 2002 10:11 UTC

From: Euchner Martin ICN M SR 3 <Martin.Euchner@icn.siemens.de>
To: 'Jonathan Rosenberg' <jdrosen@dynamicsoft.com>, Michael Thomas <mat@cisco.com>, Euchner Martin ICN M SR 3 <Martin.Euchner@icn.siemens.de>
Cc: "Peterson, Jon" <jon.peterson@neustar.biz>, sip@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [Sip] p-asserted-identity security harmful
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 11:44:54 +0200
Sender: sip-admin@ietf.org

Now I'm confused even more as this sounds like the Spec(T) example is in
fact of more mandatory nature.

11.2 Authentication requirements
   Users MUST be authenticated using SIP Digest Authentication.

First of all, I do not see any reason why to mandate SIP digest
Authentication for this draft.

Doing that would tie this draft forever to digest, but would not allow any
other SIP authentication mechanism. I recommend to reword as a SHOULD at
least and offering a MAY for other (SIP-09) authentication methods.
I guess what is perhaps intended is simply that "Users MUST/SHOULD be
authenticated".

My understanding of this draft is, that the draft assumes that users have
been authenticated (although even this can be weak in a trusted domain). The
draft describes a means how to populate the privacy-ID information but
certainly does not describe how to secure SIP.

11.3 Security requirements
   Connections between nodes within the Trust Domain and between UAs and
   nodes in the Trust Domain MUST use TLS using a cipher suite of
   RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA1.  Mutual authentication between nodes in
   the trust domain MUST be performed and confidentiality MUST be
   negotiated.

Further, I really do not understand and do not see any value why this drafts
actually profiles TLS cipher suites allowing only RSA_AES128, but does not
allow any other defined TLS cipher suites. The defined TLS cipher suites
have been chosen with care and for good reasons; TLS has its inherent
security capability negotiation, that works just fine.

Then, as pointed out by Michael, the MUST mandate for mutual TLS is
counterproductive: if there is mutual TLS authentication, then digest
authentication is completely redundant. On the other hand, it >>should<< be
allowed to have proxy-sided TLS authentication combined with some other
authentication, and of course other authentication methods should not be
ruled out.

Finally, I completely agree with Michael's proposal, that sections 11.2 and
11.3 be completely revised, making them aligned with what SIP-09 spec says
about authentication and security (although that is problematic as well) and
leaving sufficient degree of freedom for future extensions. This privacy
draft shall not attempt to define its own SIP Security baseline.

With kind regards

Martin Euchner.
http://intranet.icn.siemens.de/marketing/cs27/topics/security/