[Sip] RE: [Sipping] Example of NOTIFY instead of INFO

"Christer Holmberg (JO/LMF)" <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com> Sat, 21 July 2007 18:51 UTC

Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 20:51:24 +0200
From: "Christer Holmberg (JO/LMF)" <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com>
To: Eric Burger <eburger@bea.com>, IETF SIP <sip@ietf.org>
Subject: [Sip] RE: [Sipping] Example of NOTIFY instead of INFO

Hi,

>[Please keep discussion of INFO to the SIP list.  Copied to
>the SIPPING list because this message touches upon SPITSTOP.
>Please keep discussion of SPITSTOP to the SIPPING list.]
>

>Let us take the case of Malicious Indicator.  This is where a
>subscriber receives a call, realizes it is a malicious call
>(threatening, SPIT, etc.).
>They then press the SPIT button (or press *xx), which tells
>their service provider to mark the UAC as a bad actor.  One
>framework proposed for this is the SPITSTOP Reference
>Scenario, draft-niccolini-sipping-spitstop-00.txt.
>
>One might be tempted to think that INFO would be a great
>option for this service.  It follows the return path of the
>INVITE, and so the INFO will hit the caller's inbound proxy,
>which it can learn the caller is (statistically) a bad actor.
>That way the inbound proxy can do stuff like notify law
>enforcement, add a vote to "this is a SPIT source," or other
>useful action.
>
>However, consider a few issues.  First, since INFO lives
>exclusively within an established dialog, there is no way to
>assert this message after the call completes.  Second, this
>mechanism *relies* on an active service provider topology.
>If there is no proxy in the chain that will eat the INFO, the
>caller will see the "this is a bad guy" message, which may
>have consequences in the real world.  Third, there is no
>a'priori way for the UAS to know whether or not it can issue
>the INFO.  The caller CERTAINLY will not advertise, "please
>tell me if I am bad, particularly I know in advance that I
>*am* a bad actor."

This is an example of a special case, where you don't want to INFO to go
"all the way back", ie you want it to be terminated somewhere along the
dialog path, and I don't think that is a valid justification why you
couldn't use INFO in cases where you don't have that issue.

I don't even think this behavior would be allowed according to the proxy
rules, so the proxy would more or less be a B2BUA in this case. So, if
the outbound proxy supports this mechanism, and DOES want to use INFO,
it can insert application/mal-ind in the Accept header before forwarding
it towards the UAS (since it is acting as a B2BUA, it is allowed to do
so).

>What is the correct way of doing this?  Here is where we have theory
and practice.

>Theory says the proxy needs to SUBSCRIBE for the SPIT event
>at the UAS.  At this point, life is good, interoperable, and
>works across networks.  This enables events after the dialog
>is torn down, as presumably the SPIT event will refer not to,
>"this dialog," which does not exist, but to "that dialog
>identifier," which exists (and is theoretically unique) forever.
>
>[PLEASE TURN YOUR FLAME THROWERS OFF AT THIS POINT] Practice
>is that service providers might be able to add value by
>providing proprietary phones or IAD's to their subscribers
>that just "know" they have an implicit subscription for this
>service.  Yes, there is a whole host of problems with this,
>but if you are in a controlled, limited, no desire for
>inter-network connectivity, this mechanism will work.
>Moreover, by creating, in this case, a SPIT event package, it
>will even allow the *possibility* of interoperable interworking if the
endpoints
>implement the full SUBSCRIBE protocol.
>
>This approach shuts down the, "Oh, but with INFO I can save 3 messages,
even though this all happens after the call
>connects so it adds no user-visible delay" argument.

I am a little confused. I thought YOU have been saying that we shall
define mechanisms which are NOT based on behavior in controlled and
limited networks...

Regards,

Christer