Re: [Sip] content indirection design question

Dean Willis <dean.willis@softarmor.com> Fri, 24 February 2006 22:26 UTC

From: Dean Willis <dean.willis@softarmor.com>
Subject: Re: [Sip] content indirection design question
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 16:26:03 -0600
To: Nasir Khan <nkhan@bea.com>
Cc: sip@ietf.org

On Feb 24, 2006, at 4:09 PM, Nasir Khan wrote:

> I have this question for the designers of http://www.ietf.org/
> internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-content-indirect-mech-05.txtThe way
> the meta data about the indirect content is split between message
> and body is counter-intuitive.  Eg. -----------------------------
> Actual-------------------------                        Content-
> Type: message/external-body; access-type="URL";
> expiration="Mon, 24 June 2002 09:00:00 GMT";
> URL=http://www.example.com/the-indirect-content            Content-
> Length : 234            <CRLF>            Content-Type: image/
> jpeg            Content-Disposition:
> render--------------------------------- The Content-Type header
> indicates that this is an indirect content and also contains the
> pointer to the actual content, it contains a lot of other
> information about the content and then there is a Content-Length
> that is not the length of the actual content but the length of the
> content attributes that appear as Content headers in the body of
> this message, which contains some further information about the
> content. This type of semantic overloading and distribution has not
> been seen in most of the SIP design that I am aware of so far, what
> were the reasons for this design decision?  You could have defined
> a simple protocol (which you have done indirectly) which is
> transported in the message body much like SDP and defines the
> content as indirect content, as an example .. Eg.
> ------------------------
> Suggested-------------------------------------------Content-Type:
> application/indirect-contentContent-Length: 563<CRLF>Indirect-
> GMT"Indirect-Content:  http://www.example.com/the-indirect-
> contentIndirect-Content-Type: image/jpegIndirect-Content-Length :
> 234532Indirect-Content-Description : Happy fish image……etc etc.
> ------------
>

> OR alternatively
>
> You could have extended SIP by adding these headers (Indirect-XXX)
> headers in this draft to describe the indirect content and left the
> body empty.
>

> Any of these approaches simplify the UA implementation,
> particularly in approach-1 that I describe above, I could have used
> a factory generated pluggable content protocol handler which is
> delegated to deal with the content it specializes in, selectable by
> Content-Type header alone which just reads the body of the message
> after <CRLF>, where it finds
Interesting email format, seems to be devoid of newlines.

The history is like this: MIME had already defined message/external-
body (RFC 2017) and its semantics. This approach was used in ietf-
announce email for years, and I believe was still being used at the
time SIP content indirection was introduced. In the usual IETF
tradition, we re-used it rather than inventing yet another MIME type.
Generality over simplicity, and all that.

Besides, this was what the MIME people told us to do.

--
Dean