draft-camarillo-sip-sdp-00.txt WAS [Re: [SIP] DTMF discussion from WG meeting]

Gonzalo Camarillo <Gonzalo.Camarillo@lmf.ericsson.se> Thu, 28 September 2000 11:33 UTC

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <Gonzalo.Camarillo@lmf.ericsson.se>
To: "Culpepper, Bert" <bert.culpepper@intervoice-brite.com>
Cc: Rohan Mahy <rohan@cisco.com>, Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@dynamicsoft.com>, sip@lists.bell-labs.com, Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>, mmusic <confctrl@ISI.EDU>
Subject: draft-camarillo-sip-sdp-00.txt WAS [Re: [SIP] DTMF discussion from WG meeting]
Sender: sip-admin@lists.bell-labs.com
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 14:32:18 +0300

Hi,

In the last MMUSIC WG meeting the following draft was presented:
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-camarillo-sip-sdp-00.txt
The slides can be found at:
http://www2.ietf.org/proceedings/00jul/slides/mmusic-sdp-media-alignment.ppt

There were people expresing different opinions and the conclusion was
that further discussion was needed in the mailing list. I believe that
the competence needed to undertake these discussions can be found in
both, MMUSIC and SIP WGs. That's why this mail is sent to both mailing
lists.

A mechanism to allow a single RTP flow to be sent to different UDP ports
was found useful in general, but there were people who did not feel
comfortable about it.

I would like to hear all the problems that this might cause in order to
find the best possible solution.

If finally it is agreed that such as mechanism is needed, we will have
to agree also upon the format to be used. This draft outlines two
possible approaches, one more general and the other "more" backwards
compatible.

Feedback is very much appreciated,

Thanks,

Gonzalo

"Culpepper, Bert" wrote:

> I'm happy with the AVT tone format for transport of DTMF.  I can request
> that media type and direct it independently from other media.  I also expect
> to be able to use this media format independently and in addition to any
> other method for transporting DTMF or other "user input".  If an endpoint
> supports both RTP-DTMF and some event reporting mechanism (SUBSCRIBE/NOTIFY)
> then I expect I can request either or both.  The associated IDs and RFCs do
> not place any limitations on this that I can see.  If there are additional
> mechanisms - great.  I like choices.
>
> I do look forward to seeing support for draft-camarillo-sip-sdp-00.txt.  I
> think this will encourage support for the transmission of multiple copies of
> a media "stream" to different destinations.  And I look forward to support
> for terminal events using SUBSCRIBE/NOTIFY.  I think this can help in
> addressing concerns with reliable delivery of user input.  Hopefully work in
> both of these areas moves along to completion.
>
> Regards,
> Bert

Gonzalo Camarillo         Phone :  +358  9 299 33 71
Oy L M Ericsson Ab        Mobile:  +358 40 702 35 35
Telecom R&D               Fax   :  +358  9 299 30 52
FIN-02420 Jorvas          Email :  Gonzalo.Camarillo@ericsson.com
Finland                   http://www.hut.fi/~gonzalo