Re: [Sip] RE: [BEHAVE] Re: ICE deployment data before LC for RFC

Pyda Srisuresh <srisuresh@yahoo.com> Wed, 18 July 2007 22:54 UTC

Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 11:38:24 -0700
From: Pyda Srisuresh <srisuresh@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Sip] RE: [BEHAVE] Re: ICE deployment data before LC for RFC
To: Philip Matthews <philip_matthews@magma.ca>
Cc: 'Magnus Westerlund' <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>, behave@ietf.org, mmusic@ietf.org, sip@ietf.org, 'Henry Sinnreich' <hsinnrei@adobe.com>, "Frank W. Miller" <fwmiller@cornfed.com>

--- Philip Matthews <philip_matthews@magma.ca> wrote:

> Frank, Henry, Suresh:
>
> I agree that ICE is a complex spec. I also agree that it would be
> very interesting to see
> more data on which situations result in a direct path between
> endpoints, as opposed to
> a path via a TURN server.
>
> However, I don't understand the comment that "Hole Punching
> Techniques" are an alternative.
> In my view, ICE _is_ a "Hole Punching Technique".
>
> Perhaps you are referring to the use of STUN alone???
> The problem with using STUN alone is that there are cases where using
> the reflexive address
> doesn't work, and there is no way with STUN alone to determine when
> an endpoint should or
> should not use a reflexive address.

[suresh] Right, ICE does use the HOLE PUNCHING technique and the BCP guidelines
described in draft-ford-behave-app draft, even though ICE draft does NOT
acknowledge or reference the above draft or prior work that introduced HOLE
PUNCHING TECHNIQUE. ICE is also using HOLE PUNCHING in a limited way within the
constraints of STUN and SIP. Hence, the croner case scenarios you site. ICE is
NOT HOLE PUNCHING in its native form.

In the BEHAVE WG meeting(last IETF), several people talked of ICE as the new
application traversal approach blessed by IETF, and proposed dropping the
original draft ford-behave-app draft that proposes HOLE PUNCHING TECHNIQUE. As
a result, the application milestone is dropped from the WG charter and
ford-behave-app is not adapted as work group item. This, to me, is pitting ICE
against the basic HOLE PUNCHING TECHNIQUE. This is what I believe to be WRONG.

regards,
suresh