Re: [Sip] [Editorial Errata Reported] RFC5763 (2723)

"Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens-enterprise.com> Wed, 16 February 2011 08:52 UTC

From: "Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens-enterprise.com>
To: RFC Errata System <rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org>, "jason.fischl@skype.net" <jason.fischl@skype.net>, "Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net" <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>, "ekr@rtfm.com" <ekr@rtfm.com>, "gonzalo.camarillo@ericsson.com" <gonzalo.camarillo@ericsson.com>, "rjsparks@nostrum.com" <rjsparks@nostrum.com>, "dean.willis@softarmor.com" <dean.willis@softarmor.com>, "drage@alcatel-lucent.com" <drage@alcatel-lucent.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 09:52:14 +0100
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "sip@ietf.org" <sip@ietf.org>, "wu.yongming@zte.com.cn" <wu.yongming@zte.com.cn>
Subject: Re: [Sip] [Editorial Errata Reported] RFC5763 (2723)

Whilst I agree this looks like repetition, what was the original intent? If the last sentence were written in the active voice, what would have been the subject? The offerer or the offerer's SIP proxy?
- If the intent had been that the subject be the offerer, it is indeed repetition and should be deleted.
- If the intent had been that the subject be the offerer's SIP proxy, then the proposed correction might make sense. However, I don't think this would have been the intent. The addition of an Identity header field by the offerer's SIP proxy provides the required integrity protection for the rest of the journey to the UAS. Any additional protection (by sending the entire message in a protected channel) is not a necessary part of this mechanism.

John