Re: [Sip] Another Revised agenda for SIP et IETF 64

Dean Willis <dean.willis@softarmor.com> Fri, 04 November 2005 17:54 UTC

From: Dean Willis <dean.willis@softarmor.com>
Subject: Re: [Sip] Another Revised agenda for SIP et IETF 64
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 11:54:11 -0600
To: "DENG, HUI -HCHBJ" <hdeng@hitachi.cn>
Cc: sip@ietf.org, Rohan Mahy <rohan@ekabal.com>, Allison Mankin <mankin@psg.com>
Sender: sip-bounces@ietf.org

On Nov 4, 2005, at 2:12 AM, DENG, HUI -HCHBJ wrote:

> We are also not familiar with AD-sponsored document, does that means
> this document could become independent document out of any working
> group?
> excuse us naive question.

It's a procedure defined in RFC 3932, which modifies the procedure of
RFC 2026. It allows for ADs to sponsor informational documents that
are not in the scope of a specific working group, get the mIESG
reviewed, and published as RFCs. It's preferred over direct-to-RFC-ed
individual informationals because there is still IESG review over
these documents and an opportunity for public debate that is not
inherent with the direct-to-RFCed process of RFC 2026.

>> I'd do one Informational document that is AD sponsored, a non-SIP
>> Informational,
>> similar in content to draft-torvinen-http-digest-aka-v2-02.txt,
>> which was
>> independent and AD-sponsored, and which is about to come out as
>> RFC 4169.
> Here may I ask one question, since there are on IPR statement about
> it:
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/ipr_detail_show.cgi?&ipr_id=591
> In this case, this draft still can become an informational RFC?

While the IETF generally prefers approaches that are not IPR
encumbered, the presence of an IPR claim does not generally prevent
publication as an informational document.

--
Dean Willis
SIP co-chair