Re: [SIP] RE: Request for information on using T.30/T.37/T.38 with SIP/SDP/ RTP

David Yon <yon@dialout.net> Mon, 30 October 2000 21:07 UTC

To: Jean-Francois Mule <jfmule@clarent.com>, ietf-fax@imc.org
From: David Yon <yon@dialout.net>
Subject: Re: [SIP] RE: Request for information on using T.30/T.37/T.38 with SIP/SDP/ RTP
Cc: sip@lists.bell-labs.com
Sender: sip-admin@lists.bell-labs.com
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 15:53:40 -0500

I know that the I-D specifically defers the discussion of media transport
using TCP rather than UDPTL, but at the same time it also refers to a new
token "TCP" to be registered with IANA for use in SDP.  I am of the opinion
that simply specifying "TCP" is insufficient to describe how TCP-based
Media Transport is to be negotiated between two endpoints.

I've submitted an Internet Draft for the MMUSIC group which will hopefully
be available in the IETF I-D area soon, but for the moment it can be read here:

ftp://ftp.dialout.net/drafts/draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-tcpmedia-00.txt

So, in regards to the SIP/T.38 I-D, my only comment would be that it take
into account the I-D on SDP/TCP.  Or at the very least, participate with
better defining the SDP/TCP I-D such that is meets the needs of SIP/T.38
when using TCP for Media Transport.  As such, any comments on the I-D above
would be greatly appreciated.

Again, hopefully the draft will be in the IETF area soon, I don't know why
it is taking so long to work through the queue.

At 02:26 PM 10/27/00 -0700, Jean-Francois Mule wrote:
>There is an Internet-Draft on SIP and T.38 fax calls at
>http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mule-sip-t38callflows-00.txt
>It deals with how to negotiate a t.38 fax calls using sip as a signaling
>protocol (including switch over from audio/rtp to data/t38), the SDP
>attributes that itu-t sg-8 has registered with IANA.  Comments are
>appreciated on this Internet-Draft.

David Yon
Chief Technical Officer
Dialout.Net, Inc.