Re: [Sip] Comments draft-ietf-sip-saml-02 - marc willekens - "clarification" items

Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net> Tue, 10 July 2007 21:14 UTC

Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 23:13:59 +0200
From: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>
To: Jeff Hodges <Jeff.Hodges@neustar.biz>
Subject: Re: [Sip] Comments draft-ietf-sip-saml-02 - marc willekens - "clarification" items
Cc: sip@ietf.org

Hi Jeff,
Hi Marc,

a comment below:

Jeff Hodges wrote:
> [...]
We have investigated other profiles. The SIP SAML profile has the very
nice characteristic that it is nicely aligned with SIP Identity -- an
already understood and agreed model.

> > Will there also be a push based model? Will it then be
> > "pushed" as part of the SIP message?
>
> This is something for the WG to think about. One _can_, in theory,
> have the UAC assert some information and attach a SAML assertion to a
> SIP request (e.g. Invite) body making such a statement. Thus this
> approach could only be used by UACs because (1) only UACs may place
> data in the SIP request body, and (2) there are vociferous objections
> in the SIP WG to schemes whereby SIP intermediaries may place BLOBs
> (binary large objects) in SIP header fields. See also..
>
> [Sip] wrt SIP Saml Review by Jiri Kuthan - "missing scenarios"
> http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sip/current/msg19793.html
>

> We could specify this for UACs-only, and the other http-uri-based
> fetch approach for, as it is currently, intermediates or UACs.
>
> However, before we go to the effort, what's the in-actuality demand
> for doing so? Has anyone implemented the rfc4474 authentication
> service role in the UAC and is it being used?

With regard to the ability of the SIP UA to attach an assertion there is
another document that describes an extension to this SAML profile.
See http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-jennings-sipping-pay-05

> > [Page 13], 6.1.1. URN
> >
> > What's the current consensus for the urn?
>
> No one has objected to what is in the spec, although no one has
> commented specifically on it as yet, either.
>

> > [Page 17], 6.1.3.
> >
> > ...sender and Authentication service (AS) may be separate or... ???
> >
> > How will the AS and sender be combined?
>
> See the last paragraph on page 5 of rfc4474..
>
>   "This specification allows either a user agent or a proxy server to
>    provide identity services and to verify identities."

But for the use case where the end host attaches the assertion it might
be more realistic to assume that the assertion is added to the body of
the SIP message. This is currently not provided. This again is described
in the SIP Pay draft.

> > [Page 22], 6.1.4.1.4.
> >
> > AttributeStatement is indicated. But what about Authentication and
> > Authorization Decision statement?
>
> This particular SIP SAML Profile doesn't specify use of those
> statements, but they are not explicitly excluded either. Conceivably
> someone could cook up a use case for them and make use of it in a
> site-specific manner, or we might find use case and then can specify
> their use more easily.
>
> If we do want to explicitly do this we should perhaps add that such
> statements MAY be present, but their meaning is defined outside of
> this profile.

We have received this question several times already. I believe we
should explicitly enable the support since the AuthStatement provides
more information than SIP Identity.

> > [Page31]
> >
> > This RFC draft talks about assertions. But how can an identity be
> > asserted only by considering a device, e.g. in case a device is stolen
> > or temporary used by someone else? At VON 2000, H. Schulzrinne has
> > already indicated that something as fingerprint has to be added for a
> > device with a changing set of owners.
>
> Although a valid thought, that being the question of the nature of the
> actual authn mechanism between the UAC and the registration service,
> it is out of scope of this specification. In fact, this draft nowhere
> states that the subject's identity is asserted only by the device (UAC).

That's clearly outside the scope of this document.

> thanks for your review,
>
> =JeffH

Ciao
Hannes