RE: [SIP] RE: SCTP as transport for SIP

"Tom-PT Taylor" <taylor@nortelnetworks.com> Thu, 15 March 2001 15:39 UTC

From: Tom-PT Taylor <taylor@nortelnetworks.com>
To: 'Jonathan Rosenberg' <jdrosen@dynamicsoft.com>, "'Fairlie-Cuninghame, Robert'" <rfairlie@nuera.com>, "'schulzrinne@cs.columbia.edu'" <schulzrinne@cs.columbia.edu>
Cc: "'sip@lists.bell-labs.com'" <sip@lists.bell-labs.com>
Subject: RE: [SIP] RE: SCTP as transport for SIP
Sender: sip-admin@lists.bell-labs.com
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 10:33:06 -0500

I have read the later notes in this thread, but this will do for a reply.
The first point I would like to make is that Robert's points are very much
related to implementation.  If, for instance, your SCTP association has been
set up solely for transport of SIP, there is no issue about which streams to
listen and send on -- they are all used.  If you are setting up an SCTP
association with the intent of devoting certain streams to one protocol,
certain streams to another, and you want to do it on a dynamic rather than
configured basis, then either the receiving end has to classify the streams
according to initial received content or the two ends need a way to
negotiate stream usage.  This falls outside of the current SIGTRAN model,
which tends to have an adaptation layer which sets up associations for its
own use.  What is needed for Robert's case is a generic adaptation layer
which has no user-protocol-specific services but does handle the required
housekeeping.

Note that in general, to carry RTP within an SCTP association would require
an unreliable datagram transfer service which Randy Stewart has talked
about, but which is not currently part of SCTP.