Re: [Sip] Draft ietf-sip-xcapevent revised, many open questions

Byron Campen <bcampen@estacado.net> Thu, 28 May 2009 15:47 UTC

From: Byron Campen <bcampen@estacado.net>
To: Anders Lindgren C <anders.c.lindgren@ericsson.com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 10:48:37 -0500
Cc: sip@ietf.org, Robert Sparks <rjs@nostrum.com>, Dean Willis <dean.willis@softarmor.com>
Subject: Re: [Sip] Draft ietf-sip-xcapevent revised, many open questions

	stuff inline

> Hi Byron
> Some comments inline
> Best Regards
> Anders Lindgren

	Oh yeah, absolutely. I am coming at this from the server's
perspective though; why should I be forced to maintain a subscription
to stuff that I don't even support, and never will support for the
lifetime of the subscription? I guess what I am arguing is that this
may be a good thing to leave up to policy.

>> What about uris that are formatted in an unsupported way (for
>> example, using "users/bob" when what the server really needs
>> is "users/sip:bob@foo"), or that use a document name that
>> doesn't exist in the AUID being used (say, "rls-
>> services.xml" instead of "index" or "index.xml")? How about
>> uris that are outright malformed; it seems that our best
>> choice is a SUBSCRIBE 400, but what if only one of the uris
>> in the SUBSCRIBE body is in such a state?
>
> It is very difficult for an XCAP server to know that a valid document
> selector will be in the future. It shall be possible to monitor when a
> document is created and how will the Notifier know what in the future
> will be a valid Document selector?

	When I was talking about malformed URIs, I was mainly thinking about
malformed XPATH, which will remain malformed. But, if a document
selector is malformed now, and the server does not expose
configuration that will make it well-formed in the lifetime of the
subscription (across a recompile/upgrade/reboot/etc), would it then
make sense to reject as a matter of local policy? In principle the
implementor will know what can be reconfigured to work on-the-fly, and
what can't (whether this is true in practice, who knows, but I think
that's safely in the realm of "implementor's problem"). I agree that
_requiring_ servers to reject when they don't _currently_ understand a
doc-selector or a collection selector is a bad idea (which is the
point you're trying to make here, I think). They should be _allowed_
to do so when it makes sense for the particular implementation, however.

>> Could we use <xcap-error> documents in some way (provided the
> subscriber
>> supports this format) to help indicate what went wrong in these
>> cases?
>
> If it exist a need to provide this detailed information I do not think
> the <xcap-error> is a suitable choice as this document is handling
> errors related to the XML body in an XCAP PUT and not errors related
> the Document selector.

	Yeah, you're right (I was erroneously remembering that you could use
<xcap-error> in some cases for GETs).

Best regards,
Byron Campen