Re: [Sip] GRUU and sips

Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com> Sun, 07 November 2004 22:39 UTC

Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 18:53:52 -0600
From: Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>
To: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [Sip] GRUU and sips
Cc: Alan Johnston <alan.johnston@mci.com>, Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>, "sip@ietf.org" <sip@ietf.org>, Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@dynamicsoft.com>, Robert Sparks <rsparks@dynamicsoft.com>
Sender: sip-bounces@ietf.org

I'm getting in a bit late on this thread (sorry), but I've been under
the impression for quite some time that sip:foo and sips:foo are
*defined* to be the same resource under all circumstances. Section 19.1
of 3261 seems rather clear on this point:

>    Any resource described by a SIP URI can be
>    "upgraded" to a SIPS URI by just changing the scheme, if it is
>    desired to communicate with that resource securely.

So, if we just hand out sip: URIs, then full 3261 implementations *know*
that they can use it with a sips: scheme and get the same resource.
Perhaps it is worth reiterating this point in the GRUU document, but it
seems like this is a non-problem.

/a