Re: [SIP] DHCP option for SIP vs. for all SRV types in general

Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu> Mon, 19 March 2001 23:53 UTC

From: Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>
To: Jarno Rajahalme <jarno0@yahoo.com>
Cc: dhcp-v4@bucknell.edu, droms@bucknell.edu, schulzrinne@cs.columbia.edu, sip@lists.bell-labs.com, dhcp-v6@bucknell.edu
Subject: Re: [SIP] DHCP option for SIP vs. for all SRV types in general
Sender: sip-admin@lists.bell-labs.com
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 18:56:54 -0800

We've kind of been there before, many iterations of the SIP-DHCP
proposal ago. There are two problems that I can see:

- DHCP allows clients to request specific option numbers, but has no
other means of selecting which instances it wants (as far as I know);
thus, it would always have to retrieve all SRV options.

- SIP systems generally need both UDP and TCP SRV options, and possibly
others (SCTP) in the future. Again, this makes it likely that the client
would just have to get the whole set.

Whether this is a problem depends on what number of SRV records we
anticipate.

In addition, this does not work well if the SIP server does not have an
SRV entry. (While I would like all of them to have one, this is often
not the case today.) Thus, this wouldn't quite satisfy the SIP
operational requirements.