[Sip] Changes in caller prefs -09

Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@dynamicsoft.com> Tue, 08 July 2003 07:17 UTC

Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 03:15:31 -0400
From: Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@dynamicsoft.com>
To: sip@ietf.org
CC: Ted Hardie <hardie@qualcomm.com>
Subject: [Sip] Changes in caller prefs -09
Sender: sip-admin@ietf.org

Folks,

You may have noticed that caller prefs -09 was posted:

http://www.jdrosen.net/papers/draft-ietf-sip-callerprefs-09.txt
http://www.jdrosen.net/papers/draft-ietf-sip-callerprefs-09.html
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-callerprefs-09.txt

This document is substantially different from -08.

First, the capabilities stuff has been yanked into a separate I-D
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-callee-caps-00.txt).
That includes REGISTER and OPTIONS processing, and all of the media
feature tag definitions and registrations.

The reason for the split, as I indicated in another note, was that we
believed there were going to continue to be problems with the caller
preferences piece of callerprefs (i.e., the Accept-Contact and
Reject-Contact header fields). A big issue we encountered with -08
based on excellent input from Ted Hardie, was that q-value arithmetic
is a no-no. Q-values as defined are ordinal, and you can't perform
arithmetic on them, or compare them between different sources. We had
been doing a lot of that in -08.

So, in -09, the algorithm has changed. THe proxy computes the score
for each Accept-Contact rule against each Contact, as before. The
overall caller preference for a contact is then computed as the
average of the scores across all Accept-Contacts for that contact.
Previously, we had a really complex function instead of arithmetic
average. The reason had a lot to do with quirks that arise when you
try to do q-value arithmetic. Anyway, once the average (the caller
preference) is computed, it is used in a specific way. For those
contacts with EQUAL Q-VALUES AS SET BY THE CALLEE, the caller
preference is used to order them. We never combine the caller and
callee preferences; we merely use the caller preference to provide an
order when the callee provides none.

This algorithm is a lot simpler, and it never tries to do arithmetic
on q-values. However, there is some loss of functionality. I tested
the algorithm on all of the use cases, and found that a few failed.
For example, Section 3.5 of
http://www.jdrosen.net/papers/draft-ietf-sipping-callerprefs-usecases-00.txt
describes a case. There, the caller wants the call to go to a
videophone, but will take an audio-only device as a second choice. The
callee prefers the audio-only phone. Because the caller preferences
can't ever reorder callee contacts with differing q-values, there is
no way to "override" the callee preference for the audio phone, and
still fall back to it in the case where the videophone doesnt work or
can't be reached.

Section 3.12 describes a similar case, where a user wants to go right
to voicemail, but will take a call with the user if there is no
voicemail. We can't do that anymore.

I welcome comments on whether this loss of functionality is
substantial enough that we need to investigate ways of getting it
back. I personally would prefer to just declare victory with what
works and move on.

Some of the other changes:

* elimination of the q-values in the Accept-Contact; they were never
needed in any of the use cases, so I removed them

* Clarification on the purpose of Proxy-Require, based on comments by
Mary and others during wglc.

* A lot more discussion on how to set the require and explicit
parameters. These can be confusing, and its hard to tell which of them
you need.

* when a proxy is redirecting, it sets the q-values for the contacts
to anything which orders them based on the results of the above algorithm

Comments and questions welcome.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.
--
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711