[Sip] draft-fwmiller-ping-00 comments

Rayees Khan <rayees.khan@flextronicssoftware.com> Tue, 21 February 2006 09:41 UTC

From: Rayees Khan <rayees.khan@flextronicssoftware.com>
To: fwmiller@cornfed.com
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 14:48:04 +0530
Cc: sip@ietf.org
Subject: [Sip] draft-fwmiller-ping-00 comments

Hi Frank,

Section 2 of the draft mentions that signaling path of the PING method is established as a result of a call setup. Now what I understand is that main purpose the method is to keep the signaling path alive or to check the validity of the signaling path. This means that it would mostly be sent outside the context of a session. In such context I guess it has to follow path of a dialog establishing request.

Section 2.1 lists the headers that are expected in the PING method. Well, I have come across devices using Require and Proxy-Require header in PING messages.

Section 2.2 mentions the responses that are expected for a PING request. I was wondering that it is very well possible that if a server receives a PING request which is addressed to something that Server does not know about it is most likely to send a 404 response.

regards
Rayees

*****FSS-Private *****" DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Flextronics Software Systems Limited (FSS) and is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged or confidential information and should not be circulated or used for any purpose other than for what it is intended. If you have received this message in error, please notify the originator immediately. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you are strictly prohibited from using, copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of this message. FSS accepts no responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of the information transmitted by this email including damage from virus."