Re: [Sip] Pub request for draft-ietf-sip-dtls-srtp-framework-03

"Schneider, Peter (NSN - DE/Munich)" <peter.schneider@nsn.com> Wed, 24 September 2008 08:41 UTC

Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 10:41:01 +0200
From: "Schneider, Peter (NSN - DE/Munich)" <peter.schneider@nsn.com>
To: ext Henry Sinnreich <hsinnrei@adobe.com>
Cc: sip@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Sip] Pub request for draft-ietf-sip-dtls-srtp-framework-03
Sender: sip-bounces@ietf.org

No smiley in the question, so: The media plane is just the set of all media paths. Shown as the line at the bottom of the SIP trapezoid, e.g. in Figure 1 in draft-ietf-sip-dtls-srtp-framework-03.txt .

The media plane security solution to be specified by 3GPP will comprise cryptographic procotocols for securing the media (like SRTP) as well as a key management protocol (or more than one). Because of the middlebox considerations 3GPP currently focusses on key management protocols that do not use the media path.

A 3GPP technical report on this (work in progress) can be found at
http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/archive/33_series/33.828/33828-081.zip

Peter