RE: [Sip] SIP WG - 5 - Last Call Open Discussion - draft-ietf-sip-refer-02.txt

William Marshall <wtm@research.att.com> Fri, 28 December 2001 18:39 UTC

From: William Marshall <wtm@research.att.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 13:18:05 -0500
To: sip@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [Sip] SIP WG - 5 - Last Call Open Discussion - draft-ietf-sip-refer-02.txt
Sender: sip-admin@ietf.org

Robert Sparks wrote, in part:
> 			... The current proposal
> is to leave REFER as is, and specify usage of the parameters available
> on the Referred-By header to get exactly the protection you describe for
> the transfer application.

I've looked through draft-ietf-sip-cc-transfer-05 again, and don't see
it.  What I see in the transfer draft is more of a "transferree/
transfer-target just do exactly as they are told, don't question
anything, and it will work".

The transferee and transfer target need some way to protect themselves
from malicious REFER requests, and from malicious INVITES that contain
Referred-By values.  I'm afraid that if the restricted usage is
documented in the transfer draft, then deployed implementations
will accept ONLY the combinations of parameters given in the transfer
draft, effectively cutting off new and different services.  I feel
a generic method is needed in the refer draft that achieves some level
of  protection against bogus and replayed requests, which can then
be used (at the recipient's option) in all the flows appearing in
call-control drafts.

If the usage restrictions were to be included in the transfer draft,
they would be something like: accept a REFER only within an active
dialog; accept an INVITE with a Replaces header only if the Call-ID
in the Replaces header matches an active dialog and the Referred-by
header matches either From or To of the same dialog, etc.  But
these kind of restrictions kill the blind transfer case (6.1).
But the transfer-target needs to know that the INVITE in step 9 is
not a replay of an ancient REFER (step 7).  If all the flows in
the transfer draft were to be allowed, there would be no restrictions
at all.  Hardly a workable end state.

Bill Marshall
wtm@research.att.com