[Sip] Making sense of the SIP author drafts

"Drage, Keith \(Keith\)" <drage@alcatel-lucent.com> Fri, 09 March 2007 14:46 UTC

Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 15:45:54 +0100
From: "Drage, Keith (Keith)" <drage@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: sip@ietf.org
Subject: [Sip] Making sense of the SIP author drafts

(as WG chair)

I have been attempting to make sense of the large number of author drafts out there which in some manner impact SIP. I have three categories:

-	Bugfixes (documents which may fall into the criteria identified in draft-drage-sip-essential-correction-01)
-	SIP extensions (which need to be SIP charter items due to RFC 3427)
-	Security (all SIP security issues are normally dealt with in the SIP WG, even if INFORMATIONAL)

Plus one where I don't know where to put the document.

The lists follow, but the information I need (from the authors if noone else is)

-	does the document belong or not belong in the SIP group as a result of this analysis?
-	have I categorised this correctly?
-	have I missed any drafts that should be here?
-	for the SIP extensions is there a document out there which lists the requirements, and if so, which document is it? By this I mean a some text, totally independent of the proposed solution which:

	identifies the need for a mechanism (A mechanism is needed such that ...)
	provides requirements (The mechanism MUST/SHOULD/MAY support ...)

Note that if such text does not exist, I strongly suggest that authors of SIP extensions with RFC 3427 impact think about providing such text if they want their document to progress, or else provide a rational explanation of why it is not needed. Such text may well belong with the SIPPING group for prior discussion.

None of the above implies any commitment of the SIP WG or IETF to further the work on such drafts, but I suspect if it is not complete on my list, with the information as requested above, then nothing is going to happen with it.

Regards

Keith

Author drafts - bugfixes

draft-froment-sip-record-route-fix-00 (updates RFC 3261?, or is it just a BCP?)
draft-gurbani-sip-large-udp-response-00 (updates RFC 3261)
draft-munakata-sip-privacy-clarified-00 (updates RFC 3323?, defines new privacy values)
draft-hasebe-sipping-race-examples-02 (has RFC 2119 language against RFC 3261 behaviour)

Author drafts - extensions

draft-sinha-sip-block-01 (defines new response code)
draft-boulton-sip-control-framework-05 (defines new option tag and new SIP header field)
draft-johns-sip-outbound-middialog-draft-02 (extends existing outbound work)
draft-lee-sip-dns-sd-uri-00
draft-mahy-sip-remote-cc-05 (defines new option tag and new URI parameter)
draft-petithuguenin-sip-fragmentation-responses-02 (defines new header field, new response code, and new header field parameters)
draft-petithuguenin-sip-outbound-fragmentation-02 (extends STUN – does this belong with BEHAVE WG?)
draft-petrie-sip-event-param-err-00 (defines new response code and new header field – may be part of config framework chartered work)
draft-polk-sip-rph-new-namespaces-00 (defines new resource priority namespaces)
draft-rbhatia-anycast-sip-proxy-discovery-00
draft-rosenberg-sip-outbound-discovery-mid-dialog (defines new header field, new option tag, new URI parameter)
draft-rosenberg-sip-route-construct-02 (defines new option tag and new header field parameter)
draft-urpalainen-sip-xcap-diff-event-01 (defines new event package, may interrelate with config framework work)
draft-hewett-sipping-cal-00 (defines new header field, new option tag and new response code)
draft-hilt-sipping-overload-01 (defines new header field – requirements in draft-ietf-sipping-overload-reqs-00)
draft-jennings-sipping-pay-05 (defines new header field, new option tags, new response codes)
draft-jung-sipping-authentication-spit-00 (defines new response code)
draft-rajesh-sipping-303-01 (defines new response code)
draft-rajesh-sipping-605-01 (defines new response code)
draft-roach-sipping-callcomp-bfcp-00 (defines new option tag  - howver also defines BFCP extensions which need to go to XCON WG)
draft-schubert-sipping-header-integrity-reqs-00 (defines new option tag – however also defines SDP extensions which need to go to MMUSIC WG)
draft-stucker-sipping-early-media-indirection-00 (defines new option tag)
draft-vakil-sipping-notify-pause-00 (defines new header field paramter – extends RFC 3265)

Author drafts - security

draft-dotson-sip-certificate-auth-02 (requirements document)
draft-dotson-sip-certificate-auth-sol-00 (solution for above)
draft-fries-sip-identity-usage-bcp-01 (proposed BCP for our identity RFCs)
draft-gurbani-sip-domain-certs-04
draft-jennings-sip-dtls-03 (currently being addressed in RAI WG – modifies URI parameter)
draft-greco-sipping-roaming-00
draft-schubert-sipping-header-integrity-reqs-00
draft-tschofenig-sipping-spit-policy-00
draft-wing-sipping-srtp-key-00

Author drafts - not sure

draft-babiarz-pcn-sip-cap-00
draft-barnes-sip-em-ps-req-sol-00 (requirements draft probably best dealt with by SIPPING WG)
draft-dondeti-oma-sip-sdp-attrs-00 (believe this is a MMUSIC issue)
draft-sinnreich-sip-tools-01 (is this part of the hitchhiker’s guide work)
draft-worley-sip-dialog-03 (in scope of SIPPING?)
draft-worley-sip-gruu-implement-02 (in scope of SIPPING or incorporate in draft-ietf-sip-gruu? – anything left?)