[Sip] Re: REFER security

William Marshall <wtm@research.att.com> Thu, 14 March 2002 18:42 UTC

From: William Marshall <wtm@research.att.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 13:13:29 -0500
To: rohan@cisco.com
Cc: sip@ietf.org
Subject: [Sip] Re: REFER security
Sender: sip-admin@ietf.org

The issue that I raised with REFER security during its last-call period
last year was the inability of the transfer-target to authenticate
the Referred-By header with the transferor.  While there may be
an authenticated relationship between the transferee and the transferor
(established by an INVITE, and used by the REFER), and an authenticated
relationship between the transferee and the transfer-target (established by
the REFER-initiated INVITE), there is no way for the transfer-target
(i.e. UAS in the second INVITE) to verify that the transferor really
did send a REFER to the UAC.

The result is that the only reasonable policy of a UAS on receiving
an INVITE containing a Referred-By header is to ignore it.  It can
only be utilized and believed within a very limited scope that rivals
the applicability statement in the privacy draft.

If the basic mechanism is of such limited scope, it seems less than
useful to discuss security for each separate usage of REFER.

In my last-call review of draft-ietf-sip-refer-02, message dated 13 Nov 2001,
I proposed one solution.  An additional 4xx error response would be
sent from transfer-target to transferee, which would contain a challenge.
The transferee would send this challenge to the transferer in a NOTIFY,
who would respond with an updated REFER with the proper response. This
response would then be included in a new INVITE to the transfer-target.
Lots of details TBD, like what additional headers are included in the
calculation of the response.

An example of the problem with the current draft:
  Consider the simple case of a blind transfer (described in Section 6
of draft-ietf-sip-cc-transfer-05):
  Person X calls the CEO of a corporation, and the call is intercepted by
a screener (S).  Screener is the transferor, X is the transferee, and
CEO is transfer-target.  Screener sends REFER to X, then X sends INVITE
to CEO's private address with Referred-By: S.  So the next time X wants
to call CEO, why go through the screener?  X has the magic Referred-By
value to go direct.  CEO gets unscreened calls, and removes SIP phones
from company.

Bill Marshall
wtm@research.att.com