RE: [SIP] Ringback draft

"Culpepper, Bert" <bert.culpepper@intervoice-brite.com> Fri, 10 November 2000 21:54 UTC

From: "Culpepper, Bert" <bert.culpepper@intervoice-brite.com>
To: "Adam B. Roach" <Adam.Roach@Ericsson.com>, sip@lists.bell-labs.com
Subject: RE: [SIP] Ringback draft
Sender: sip-admin@lists.bell-labs.com
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 15:48:19 -0600

I think the ability to specify the ringback tone characteristics is useful
and expect some to find it desirable.  The (somewhat subtle) aspect of the
draft that I feel is also useful is that the device on the edge of the SIP
network (towards the caller) is responsible for providing ringback tone.  In
the PSTN, the switch at the edge of the network (towards the callee)
provides ringback.  In a PSTN-IP network where the call terminates in the IP
network, the device responsible for providing ringback is the ingress
gateway to the IP network IMO.  I've found that which device provides
ringback is unclear to some when discussing PSTN-IP interworking.

I realize the aspect I described is not the focus of your draft but the
topic does interest me :)

Regards,
Bert