Re: Two New Drafts

archow@hss.hns.com Fri, 10 March 2000 15:15 UTC

From: archow@hss.hns.com
To: "Adam B. Roach" <Adam.Roach@Ericsson.com>
Cc: sip@lists.research.bell-labs.com
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 09:42:55 +0530
Subject: Re: Two New Drafts
Sender: owner-sip@lists.research.bell-labs.com

Hi,

some questions:

1. The draft does not mention what happens when multiple SUBSCRIBE requests
arrive from the same user. In REGISTER,
     they replace old ones if the SIP url is same and additive otherwise.
However, in SUBSCRIBE, I think it would make sense to make it additive
only, since the same SIP url can subscribe to multiple events using  diff.
subscription messages. Is this correct ?

2. What do I do when I want to send a subscription like:

" I want to be notifed when user A sends me a voice mail for the next 3 hrs
AND when user B sends me a voice mail for the next 2 hrs "

Do I send two different SUBSCRIBEs like

SUBSCRIBE .....
event: voice-mail <PS how do I say user A ?>
Expires: <3hrs>
Call-ID: XXXXXXX

and

SUBSCRIBE .....
event: voice-mail <PS how do I say user B ?>
Expires: <2hrs>
Call-ID: YYYYY

Now in above, I feel the event header should be broken up more so I dont
have to put in the entire event in one token only (although Im not sure how
much of break up would satisfy everyone - maybe something like cp-params of
Caller&Callee preferences ?)

Maybe we could have event as token *(; value)  where value = token | token
"=" token
where the first token mentions the primary service like "voice-mail",
"terminal-free" etc and the second set of tokens to be a description about
the primary event which the server supporting the event would understand.

Then w could do: event: voice-mail;user="A" or something

Further, If I wanted to sent multiple subscriptions as one ordered set
(like I want to be notified of voicemails from A,B,C for a duration of
2,3,4 hrs) , then the only way I see it either break it up into 3 SUBSCRIBE
(requiring then that I have 3 call ids to correlate) or that  I do one
request with 3 Event Headers and 3 Expires headers and do something like
first Event matches first Expires - which again does not seem to be good.

Would it make sense, then to  define Event as minimally

Event =  1#(eventid ; duration)
event = token       // Does it need to be broken ?
duration = deltaseconds | SIP-Date

3. REGISTER with Exp : 0 I guess unregisters a user from the registrar (or
certain contacts from the registrar) - however, subscribing to
a notificaton service, imho, is different from registering for normal sip
operations and hence I feel REGISTER should not be used to
delete SUBSCRIBEs - I would wanyt to subscribe, unsubscribe from
notifications often without wanting to touch my registration at all -
hence I feel UNSUBSCRIBE is better that overloading REGISTER

Regds
Arjun

--
Arjun Roychowdhury @ Hughes Software Systems