[Sip] RE: [rohc] Requirements for signaling compression

"Price, Richard" <richard.price@roke.co.uk> Fri, 03 August 2001 10:46 UTC

From: "Price, Richard" <richard.price@roke.co.uk>
To: 'Hans Hannu' <Hans.Hannu@epl.ericsson.se>
Cc: rohc@cdt.luth.se, sip@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 11:30:19 +0100
Subject: [Sip] RE: [rohc] Requirements for signaling compression
Sender: sip-admin@ietf.org

Hi,

Considering a generic solution is fine provided that it doesn't delay the
availability of a SIP/SDP compression scheme. This is mainly a protocol
rather than an algorithm issue (as most of the proposed algorithms are generic
text compressors). If the protocol can also be made generic without too much
additional effort then it is a step worth taking.

Higher-layer compression might need one additional requirement - tolerance to
reordering between the compressor and decompressor. We should word this similarly
to Requirement 6, i.e:

   "The compression scheme must be able to tolerate the maximum expected message
   reordering between the compressor and decompressor."

This makes sure that the requirement is automatically fulfilled when there is no
message reordering (if per-hop compression is chosen).

Best regards,

Richard P