RE: [Sip] Re: Callerprefs: Mobility tag

"Drage, Keith (Keith)" <drage@lucent.com> Wed, 23 April 2003 10:34 UTC

From: "Drage, Keith (Keith)" <drage@lucent.com>
To: 'Henning Schulzrinne' <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>, Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>
Cc: Mary Barnes <mbarnes@nortelnetworks.com>, Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@dynamicsoft.com>, "'sip@ietf.org'" <sip@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: [Sip] Re: Callerprefs: Mobility tag
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 11:32:57 +0100
Sender: sip-admin@ietf.org

I think I agree with Paul on this one.

Unless someone comes up with a single set of semantics of what it means, it should go away.

What makes it useless is that the explanation below gives two, possibly mutually incompatible, semantics for the same parameter.

I would also point out that the charging characteristics (in Europe) for mobile and fixed line calls are so completely different that it is difficult to conclude on the basis of a single call whether one is cheaper or not. Yes, roaming will maked the roaming user (who could either be calling or called) incur call charges, but the roaming user makes a personal choice to turn their phone on when they are roaming. And the bulk of subscribers making lots of calls are not roaming.

Keith

Keith Drage
Lucent Technologies
Tel: +44 1793 776249