[Sip] SRTP and MIKEY usage in SIP

"Steffen Fries" <steffen.fries@siemens.com> Mon, 20 January 2003 13:55 UTC

From: Steffen Fries <steffen.fries@siemens.com>
To: sip@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 16:19:49 +0100
Subject: [Sip] SRTP and MIKEY usage in SIP
Sender: sip-admin@ietf.org

Hi,

I'm not quite sure, which working group fits best for this
question, thus I'm starting with the SIP WG ;-)

When SIP and SRTP are used in conjunction, an appropriate
key management is necessary for SRTP. Within the MSEC WG
MIKEY has been defined, which is thought to be used (also)
for SRTP.

MIKEY and an related draft (draft-ietf-msec-MIKEY-DHHMAC-
01.txt) offer 4 different key management methods based on:
- pre-shared secrets
- public key encryption
- Diffie Hellman protected with signatures
- Diffie Hellman protected with pre-shared secrets

When MIKEY and SRTP are to be used in a SIP environment,
what would be a suitable choice out of the four options?

I'm not sure if the pre-shared secret pased methods are
suitable, since this would assume, that all users who want to
communicate need to exchange a shared secret before. Well, this
could be done by puting a shared secret in the SIP message and
securing this by S/MIME, but then MIKEY would be protected by
symmetric methods, although asymmetric technology was used to
secure the shared secret transport, namely S/MIME. One could
also use the certificates and private keys to secure MIKEY
right from the beginning.

There might be scenarios where the symmetric case is
appropriate, but I'm not sure if this is a rather general case.

Is MIKEY generally considered for key management in SIP or will
this rather be done using draft-baugher-mmusic-sdpmediasec-
00.txt secured by S/MIME?

The usage of MIKEY and SRTP is especially interesting in
conjunction with other multimedia protocols like H.323. Voice
encryption and associated key management could be performed
across the different signaling protocols.

Was there already a discussion related to this question, which
I may be missed?

Regards
        Steffen