RE: [Sip] Comment on willis-sip-answeralert-00

"Zisimopoulos, Haris, VF-Group" <Haris.Zisimopoulos@vodafone.com> Tue, 02 August 2005 14:42 UTC

Subject: RE: [Sip] Comment on willis-sip-answeralert-00
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 15:41:57 +0100
From: "Zisimopoulos, Haris, VF-Group" <Haris.Zisimopoulos@vodafone.com>
To: Francois Audet <audet@nortel.com>, Kelley Sean-Q12059 <seankelley@motorola.com>, sip@ietf.org
Sender: sip-bounces@ietf.org

The point is that the description of ManualReq states :

"The UAS is also asked NOT to answer automatically, and to reject the
request
if it is unwilling to answer manually."

This is exactly similar to this of AutoReq but when it comes to the
description of the procedures of UAS for the AutoReq it is stated that:

"The UAS MUST NOT allow "manual" answer of this request, but MAY reject
it."

But for the ManualReq it is stated:

"If the UAS is not capable of answering the request in this "Manual"
mode or is
   unwilling to do so, it SHOULD reject the request with a "403
   Forbidden" response..."

So the normative behaviour of the UAS when it comes to processing
ManualReq and AutoReq is not similar, which from protocol point of view
does not make sense given that these header fields convey exactly the
same "meaning":

If the terminating point cannot answer the request either manually or
auto (depending if ManualReq or AutoReq is used) then reject it.

AutoReq and ManualReq needs to be mandatory in order to make sense for
the UAC to use it for any usage (PoC or not) and be different from
Manual and Auto. I cannot understand where it helps if it is
wishy-washy.

Best regards,
Haris