RE: [Sip] INFO considered harmful

Adam Roach <adam@dynamicsoft.com> Thu, 09 January 2003 22:16 UTC

From: Adam Roach <adam@dynamicsoft.com>
To: 'Eric Burger' <eburger@snowshore.com>, Adam Roach <adam@dynamicsoft.com>
Cc: sip@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [Sip] INFO considered harmful
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 16:17:44 -0600
Sender: sip-admin@ietf.org

The #1 issue is that the INFO RFC, today, just says,
"here's a method; do with it what you will. Everything's
allowed."

On re-reading my arguments, all I'm doing is reinforcing
this point, which I beleive is relatively uncontentious.
(Relative, that is, to...)

The more subtle point is whether to turn the free-for-all
into an organized effort that involves IANA registration,
or whether to completely close the doors.

That leads us to...

> A number of
> drafts have proposed interoperable, non-network-crippling
> payloads for INFO.

Okay, there's your draft, which is apparently just an informational
publication, instead of any proposal for a standard.

Beyond, that, RFC 2967 is mentioned only in the following
internet drafts:

- draft-ietf-sip-serverfeatures-05
- draft-gurbani-sin-02
  Only mention INFO as an example method

- draft-ietf-sip-message-01
  Only mentions INFO in the context of "MESSAGE has this in
  common with INFO".

- draft-ietf-sipping-sigcomp-sip-dictionary-05
  Mentions INFO because, well, it's a dictionary that includes
  all the SIP methods

- draft-garcia-sip-associated-uri-04
- draft-henrikson-sip-original-dialog-id-02
- draft-ietf-sip-join-00
- draft-ietf-sip-replaces-02
- draft-ietf-sip-callerprefs-07
  Only mention INFO in an attempt to be complete when
  expanding table 2 in RFC 3261

- draft-mahy-sipping-signaled-digits-01
  Uses INFO for RTP transport, but questions this practice
  in the open issues section

By my count, that's exactly one draft that's currently proposing
to use INFO for something nonproprietary, and even that draft isn't
so certain that INFO is the right approach.

Did I miss something?

Where are the applications that must take advantage of INFO to
work? INFO has been an RFC for over two years now, and was first
published as an ID almost four years ago. Has that been
insufficient time to come up with the killer app that makes keeping
INFO around worth the effort of updating it instead of scrapping it?

/a