Re: [Sip] Question regarding instance ID in GRUU and outbound

Aki Niemi <aki.niemi@nokia.com> Thu, 10 August 2006 13:34 UTC

Subject: Re: [Sip] Question regarding instance ID in GRUU and outbound
From: Aki Niemi <aki.niemi@nokia.com>
To: ext Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 16:33:54 +0300
Cc: sip <sip@ietf.org>

ke, 2006-08-09 kello 15:58 -0700, ext Cullen Jennings kirjoitti:
> This email is sort of irrelevant but I'm sending it anyways :-)
>
> A few year back, I wrote
> http://www.softarmor.com/wgdb/docs/draft-jennings-sipping-instance-
> id-00.txt
>
> and it had some use cases for why one might need a long term stable
> identifier for a device. I think theses still hold. We need something
> and it needs to survive reboots of a device. You are right it does
> not matter who generates the ID but the UA needs to store it. Cookies
> were discussed but rejected due to worries about if there was AT&T
> IPR on them.

This is pretty interesting. Has anyone verified there is an actual
patent or patent application on the cookie approach?

> I originally proposed something "simple" to generate - I'm a big fan
> of large random numbers. Others were less comfortable with large
> random numbers and wanted something algorithmically guaranteed to be
> unique by some sort of delegated assignment - like MAC or OIDs. Most
> devices had MAC addresses or an equivalent sort of identifier. I
> wrote something for MAC plus something for things without a MAC. It
> was looking less simple. There were problems with the multiple phones
> on one MAC that added more complexity. Pretty soon, I was reinventing
> UUID. UUID covered everything we needed and encompassed a huge set of
> existing arguments on the subject. If you remove any part of UUID,
> there is some use case that gets broken. It may be that the use case
> is bogus but none the less the argument goes on.

Let me be clear, I'm not against UUID as such. In fact that would be a
perfectly valid spec to follow when implementing the registrar's
cookie-generation algorithm.

> Some devices store only
> their MAC and the configuration system uses that to know what data to
> hand down to them. I have seen some systems where the config handed
> to the phone is based only on the which ethernet port in the switch
> the device was connected to. Some residential ethernet to the home
> systems do this so that if my neighbor plugs in his phone at my
> house, it becomes my phone. In theory these systems would not need to
> really store anything.

And that configuration handed down to them couldn't just include the
cookie?

> > And worst case is you need to garbage-collect some stale flows, in
> > case
> > a UA happens to forget its ID, but that you need to be doing in any
> > case.
> >
> > We chose a similar approach over instance ID in PUBLISH, which uses
> > etags generated by the server to identify uniqueness of publisher
> > instances. With PUBLISH, UAs are also instructed to remember their
> > etags, even across reboots.
>
> of course close to none of them do :-)

Touche! ;)

--