Re: [Sip] Conclusion of WGLC, Call for IETF Last Call on sip-dhcpv6

Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu> Tue, 28 May 2002 17:38 UTC

Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 13:12:10 -0400
From: Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>
To: Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@dynamicsoft.com>
CC: Dean Willis <dean.willis@softarmor.com>, sip@ietf.org, rohan@cisco.com, brian.rosen@marconi.com, jo@ipdialog.com
Subject: Re: [Sip] Conclusion of WGLC, Call for IETF Last Call on sip-dhcpv6
Sender: sip-admin@ietf.org

I agree that this would be useful, albeit a bit unusual compared to
other DHCP options. There are a few issues that would need to be resolved:

- Would this apply to v6 only? I don't know that the state of the v4
draft is in the IESG pipeline and what other "customers" there are. This
would be the first DHCP option containing a URI, so this may cause some
broader issues.

- It would be possible to add this mode as a third mechanism on top of
the existing two (either as the byte identifier in v4 or as top-level
items in v6) in both v4 and v6. That would seem to be the least likely
to cause hick-ups.

- As the only mode, URIs would not be amenable to DNS host name
compression, so this is not quite equivalent. I suspect that that is a
minor issue.