[Sip] Privacy statements and History (draft-ietf-sip-history-info-04.txt)

"GARCIN Sebastien RD-CORE-ISS" <sebastien.garcin@francetelecom.com> Tue, 09 November 2004 22:17 UTC

Subject: [Sip] Privacy statements and History (draft-ietf-sip-history-info-04.txt)
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 17:11:19 +0100
From: GARCIN Sebastien RD-CORE-ISS <sebastien.garcin@francetelecom.com>
To: Mary Barnes <mary.barnes@nortelnetworks.com>, sip@ietf.org
Sender: sip-bounces@ietf.org

Hi mary, all

When reading draft-ietf-sip-history-info-04.txt, I have trouble in understanding some of the statements which relate to the forwarding rules for history-entries subject to privacy. It is an important requirement that History-entrie(s) with a Privacy=history, session, or header are indeed forwarded to entities which belong to the same trust domain. The removal of specific history-entries should only occur if the peer does not belong to the trust domain.

In the current text (section 4.3.3.1.1) :
If a request is  being forwarded to a Request URI associated with a domain for which the proxy is not responsible and there is a Privacy header in the request with a priv-value of "session", "header" or "history", the proxy MUST remove any hi-entry(s) prior to forwarding.

The current wording is misleading since it gives the impression (maybe intentionnal) that it is not possible to forward history-entries with Privacy statements to domains under the responsability of e.g. another operator belonging to the same trust domain.

The concept of "trust domain" should be used when discussing the forwarding rules pertaining to information subject to privacy. Furthermore, the requirement for forwarding history-entries to trusted entities should be stated more clearly in the draft.

Thank you for clarifying this point.

Best regards,
sébastien