Re: 2nd: [SIP] harmonized SUBSCRIBE/NOTIFY behavior

Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@dynamicsoft.com> Thu, 20 July 2000 18:13 UTC

Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 14:15:32 -0400
From: Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@dynamicsoft.com>
To: Rohan Mahy <rohan@cisco.com>
Cc: sip@lists.bell-labs.com
Subject: Re: 2nd: [SIP] harmonized SUBSCRIBE/NOTIFY behavior
Sender: sip-admin@lists.bell-labs.com

I responded on the sip-events list, but there wasn't any comment on my
response.

Anyway, this needs to be resolved. Its a big issue that probably will
take more time than is available during the meeting. I would propose an
informal gather at the bar to discuss. If you are interested in coming
to such a gathering, let me know.

I would also like to propose a similar gathering to talk about
directions for multiparty conferencing, another big issue that needs
discussion in real time, but will take too much time to be done in the
meeting itself.

Of course, notes from both informal gatherings will be made available,
and any agreements arrived at are, as always, subject to wg review and
acceptance/rejection.

-Jonathan R.

Rohan Mahy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Would anyone care to comment on this, or should this become a SIP LIST OPEN
> ISSUE?
>
> thanks,
> -rohan
>
> At 12:16 PM 7/6/00 , Rohan Mahy wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I'm looking for some consistent direction on SUBSCRIBE/NOTIFY.  Since we
> >have the SUBSCRIBE/NOTIFY draft, PINT, and IMPP for presence, all doing
> >stuff differently.
> >
> >I can see valid reasons for each of these cases:
> >
> >a       subscribe to ongoing state, I already know the current state
> >b       subscribe to ongoing state, plus get current state
> >c       refresh subscription, I know the current state
> >d       refresh subscription, plus get current state
> >e       fetch the current state
> >f       unsubscribe
> >
> >Hopefully Jonathan Rosenberg, Scott Petrack, and Adam Roach have all
> >talked about this somewhere.
> >My interetation of the currently available documents is that they can do this:
> >
> >SUB/NFY a, c, f
> >PINT            a, c, e, f
> >IMPP            b, c, e, f
> >
> >Perhaps we need a new header/parameter used in a SUBSCRIBE that indicates
> >whether to send back immediate status?
> >
> >Also, the use of an Event header, Call-ID usage, and body handling are not
> >consistent, but this seems like less of an issue.
> >
> >Anyone care to clarify?  Will the three documents be harmonized (apologies
> >for using an ITU term) at some point?
> >
> >Relevant sections of the documents are included below.  Also, a short
> >comment on IMPP inline...
> >
> >thanks,
> >-rohan
> >

> >In draft-roach-sip-subscribe-notify-00.txt, the author asks:
> >
> >>Should cancelling a subscription be performed with the UNSUBSCRIBE method
> >>defined in PINT for the sake of consistency, or is the REGISTER model of
> >>"Expires: 0" preferable?
> >
> >There is no mention of the SUBSCRIBE response carrying back any state.  In
> >the companion document, draft-roach-sip-acb-00.txt, a SUBSCRIBE to the
> >"terminal-free" event does not necessarily need state in the reply,
> >because presumably, the subscriber already assumed the terminal wan't
> >free, because they got a busy signal.
> >
> >In RFC2848, the authors state:
> >
> >>When a SUBSCRIBE request is sent to a PINT Server, it indicates that a
> >>user wishes to receive information about the status of a service session.
> >>The request identifies the session of interest by including the original
> >>session description along with the request, using the SDP
> >>global-session-id that forms part of the origin-field to identify the
> >>service session uniquely.
> >
> >>Rather than have two different methods of identifying the "session of
> >>interest" the choice is to use the origin-field of the SDP sub-part
> >>included both in the original INVITE and in this SUBSCRIBE request.
> >>
> >>Note that the request MUST NOT include any sub-parts other than the
> [...]

Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
jdrosen@dynamicsoft.com                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com