Re: [Sip] More general question on S-S-L mode in RPH

"James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com> Wed, 10 November 2004 16:57 UTC

Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:43:00 -0600
To: Janet P Gunn <jgunn6@csc.com>
From: "James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [Sip] More general question on S-S-L mode in RPH
Cc: Richard F Kaczmarek <rkaczmarek@csc.com>, Darren E Pado <dpado@csc.com>, Saud Negash <snegash@csc.com>, sip@ietf.org, sip-bounces@ietf.org, nyquetek@msn.com, Dennis Q Berg <dberg3@csc.com>
Sender: sip-bounces@ietf.org

Clearly this document needs to address the behaviors you want in a mode (if
they remain in the document), and clearly semi-strict as defined is not
exactly as you want it.

Are you missing something...?

Domains will operate their network as they see fit, and this document will
not dictate how that is accomplished. This is a document that describes a
header with several field values. Some field values can be used to prevent
communications in known networks, so the expected behaviors of those field
values should be articulated somewhere in a document where the header is
defined (the IETF).

A concern is 2 years from now someone operating a network will want to use
this header in their network and want guidance as to which field values to
use from a list of predefined values, or suggest a new one be created for
unique conditions.

Since SIP is an end-to-end protocol (not accounting for B2BUAs), a SIP
message with this header may have one behavior in one network and a
completely different (and potentially undesirable) behavior in another
network.

The modes articulated in this document are to explain usages that "can"
(not must) be experienced in some networks when using specific namespaces
created for specific purposes. Each are as much to caution as they are to
define the behavior of usage.

If a namespace has a general characteristic of preemption as a behavior in
a known network(s) - that namespace should not be used by endpoints in
another network that does not include the behavior of preemption.
Undesirable consequences will occur when communicated between those networks.

This is all guidance, it's not a law anywhere

cheers,
James