RE: [Sip] FW: New Draft - Suppression of Refer Implicit Subscription

"Sriram Parameswar" <sriramkp@attbi.com> Wed, 30 October 2002 00:13 UTC

From: Sriram Parameswar <sriramkp@attbi.com>
To: Rohan Mahy <rohan@cisco.com>
Cc: sip@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 10:07:18 -0600
Sender: sip-admin@ietf.org

Rohan,

Thank you for your comments. Its not only a question of trading pair of
messages for an option-tag. Implicit subscriptions themselves are
problematic, as has been discussed on this list several times - the memo
provides for a method to suppress them, while being backwardly compatible.
If the UA receiving the REFER does not have to create the state information
for the subscription - then I see that as a distinct advantage

As for content push, there is no guarantee that the fetch happens
instantaneously - there could be the need for human interaction before that
happens. As for the attended transfer case, admittedly its a weaker example,
but in an enterprise setting - say between an employee, boss and secretary -
I see no need for the creation of additional messaging.

HTH,

Sriram