RE: [Sip] SIPit 21 : Topics that attendees argued about

"Horvath, Ernst" <ernst.horvath@siemens.com> Thu, 22 November 2007 10:58 UTC

Subject: RE: [Sip] SIPit 21 : Topics that attendees argued about
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 11:57:52 +0100
From: "Horvath, Ernst" <ernst.horvath@siemens.com>
To: Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com>, ravishankar.shiroor@wipro.com, rjsparks@nostrum.com, sip@ietf.org

I am surprised that this caused any confusion. RFC 3264 seems pretty
clear to me.

Citing from section 6.1:
  "The answerer MUST send using a media format in the offer
   that is also listed in the answer, and SHOULD send using the most
   preferred media format in the offer that is also listed in the
answer."

and from section 7:
  "The offerer MAY immediately cease listening for media formats that
   were listed in the initial offer, but not present in the answer."

So, why should the offerer be expected to deal with formats not present
in the answer? (Of course, the offerer must be prepared to receive ALL
offered formats BEFORE the answer arrives)

Regards,
Ernst Horvath