RE: [Sip] Join header (draft-ietf-sip-join-03.txt) unnecessary? Second attempt.

"Christian Jansson" <christian.jansson@hotsip.com> Mon, 08 November 2004 17:08 UTC

Subject: RE: [Sip] Join header (draft-ietf-sip-join-03.txt) unnecessary? Second attempt.
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 17:33:28 +0100
From: Christian Jansson <christian.jansson@hotsip.com>
To: Rohan Mahy <rohan@ekabal.com>
Cc: sip@ietf.org
Sender: sip-bounces@ietf.org

I saw that the draft had made it to RFC so in some way I am too late, but I still do not see the advantages with Join.

"The simplest example is that a Replaces header sent to a locally mixed conference might match multiple dialogs"
Is that an advantage or disadvantage of Join vs the model I proposed?

"It is then impossible to replace a single (specific) dialog"
But wouldn't that be possible with the proposal I wrote also? I think so. Do you have any reference to mailing-list discussions where you realized that what was in RFC3261 was not enough?

I thought it would be good to reuse the elements that are in 3261. In a way dialogs could be seen to be coupled to a call-id in a heretical view.

In the case below UA:A has a call containing 2 dialogs with dialog-ids (1234:A1:BB) and (1234:A2:CC). If one would like to use Replaces to replace one of the dialogs then simply target one of them using the dialog id. To me Join seems to invent the wheel again.

     UA:A

    Call-id: 1234
 local-tag=A1  local-tag=A2
 remote-tag=BB remote-tag=CC

In this model it is very easy to see that the two dialogs are connected, as they both share the call-id part of their dialog-id. I think that is a very attractive feature.

Now if we use Join instead do the same thing, we would get some state above this (conference?) that relates one dialog with another dialog with a completely different set of identifiers. It also makes the call-id identifier more or less useless except for the case when forking gives back multiple answers, which probably won't happen under normal operation. Does this state above dialogs and call-ids have a name defined anywhere?

/ Christian Jansson