RE: [Sip] draft-ietf-sip-hop-limit-diagnostics-03

"Drage, Keith (Keith)" <drage@lucent.com> Fri, 07 July 2006 13:20 UTC

From: "Drage, Keith (Keith)" <drage@lucent.com>
To: 'Jonathan Rosenberg' <jdrosen@cisco.com>, 'Scott Lawrence' <slawrence@pingtel.com>
Subject: RE: [Sip] draft-ietf-sip-hop-limit-diagnostics-03
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 14:20:07 +0100
Cc: 'SIP WG List' <sip@ietf.org>

We'd also get pretty much the same thing by using the "by reference" mechanism in draft-ietf-sip-location-conveyance.

The server sends a URI to some location where the diagnostic information is placed. All the issues that exist have to be handled for location-conveyance with that mechanism.

Out of interest, for Jonathan's proposal, on networks where we're running on the verge of hop limit expiries for all requests, don't we tend to some form of amplification situation. The server sends the 4xx response plus a new request with the diagnostic information. A certain percentage (because they took slightly longer paths) of the new requests hit the hop limit in the reverse direction and send 4xx back to the original server plus a request containing the diagnostic inforation, etc, etc. Of course, on properly configured networks...

regards

Keith