RE: [Sip] RE: Question to Identity draft

Fries Steffen <steffen.fries@siemens.com> Fri, 08 April 2005 13:38 UTC

From: Fries Steffen <steffen.fries@siemens.com>
To: Francois Audet <audet@nortel.com>, "'Peterson, Jon'" <jon.peterson@neustar.biz>, "'fluffy@cisco.com'" <fluffy@cisco.com>
Subject: RE: [Sip] RE: Question to Identity draft
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 15:24:38 +0200
Cc: 'IETF SIP List' <sip@ietf.org>
Sender: sip-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Francois,

> This would also allow for supporting sRTP to unanticipated
> respondents.
>
> Note: I will point out that MIKEY allows for this today
> because the certificates
>       can be included in the MIKEY message. Not so for SDESC.
> If we "pop up 2 levels"
>       the certificates to the SIP level (instead of inside
> MIKEY inside SDP in SIP), then
>       we could have a solution that would work for both
> mechanisms, allowing a UAC to
>       advertize support for both mechanism. You could use
> S/MIME with both mechanisms.

You could provide your certificates also as part of the S/MIME body. We
discussed that in a parallel threat. The only thing, that I'm not convinced
with is, if it is possible to use certificates, which are not directly
related to the FROM field in terms of a user name but a machine name for
instance. As far as I understand RFC3261, the subject name should correspond
to what is signaled in the FROM (AoR)field. That was actually my though to
use the authentication service of the identity draft to associate the AoR
with the certificate used for the session.

Regards
	Steffen