Re: [sipcore] Reason as a parameter rather than an escaped header

"Worley, Dale R (Dale)" <dworley@avaya.com> Tue, 23 November 2010 19:25 UTC

From: "Worley, Dale R (Dale)" <dworley@avaya.com>
To: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 14:26:37 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "sipcore@ietf.org" <sipcore@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [sipcore] Reason as a parameter rather than an escaped header

From: Paul Kyzivat [pkyzivat@cisco.com]
> >> Just stating it that was exposes the problem.
> >> The intent of the Reason header is specified in RFC3326.
> >> Any use that isn't consistent with that is an abuse.
> >> Its intended to indicate why a *request* is being sent.
> >
> > Yes, but it quickly mutated into a carrier in responses to provide
> > additional information as to why the response was generated.
> > Consider:
> >
> >     draft-jesske-dispatch-reason-in-responses-02
>
> 1 - quickly? The Reason header is old.
> 2 - did I miss something? what is the status of the jesske draft?
>      isn't it still just an individual draft?

Yes, you missed something, and so did everybody else.  As turned up in
the discussion of the Jesske draft during one IETF meeting, just about
everybody assumes that Reason can be used in responses, and appears to
have been assuming that for many years.  The Jesske draft in to
officially permit what everybody has been doing all along.

> But my point wasn't reasons for requests vs. reasons for responses. It
> was about reasons for requests vs. reasons for H-I entries. And IIUC the
> reasons in Marianne's draft are *not* reasons for responses. They are
> reasons for retargeting, generally without there having been any
> response. They are indeed a reason for a request. And it is a reason for
> the request with the new target, not the reason for the request with the
> old target.

How you feel about this depends on how you assume the system is
architected.  In my case, I expect *all* redirections to be due to 302
(perhaps incorrectly) to see H-I entries like this:

History-Info:  <sip:original-address \
	           ?Reason=SIP;cause=302, \
		           application;cause=2;text="Freephone">;index=1,
	       <sip:new>;index=1.1
[with considerable abuse of the escaping rules]

That is, the "application" value carries more information about why
the "SIP" value (302) was generated.

But I don't know if others think that Reason will be commonly used in
this way.

Dale