Re: [sipcore] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-sipcore-reason-q850-loc-06: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu> Thu, 21 March 2019 00:44 UTC

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2019 19:43:57 -0500
From: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
To: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
Cc: "<R.Jesske@telekom.de>" <R.Jesske@telekom.de>, draft-ietf-sipcore-reason-q850-loc@ietf.org, sipcore-chairs@ietf.org, Michael Tüxen via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>, SIPCORE <sipcore@ietf.org>, IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [sipcore] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-sipcore-reason-q850-loc-06: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 07:23:24PM -0500, Ben Campbell wrote:
> Here’s a proposed RFC Editor note to make the changes in section 4. I made some slight edits for clarity, and a bigger edit to include the part about the ISUP location being available as a condition of the SHALL, rather than a separate statement suggesting that the SHALL is not always possible to follow.
>
> Benjamin and Roland, does this work for you?

Modulo typos (inline), I can clear my Discuss for that text.

-Benjamin

> Thanks!
>
> Ben.
>
> ---------------------------------
>
> Please make the following edits to the first two paragraphs following Figure 1 in
> Section 4:
>
> OLD:
> Note: These are the values defined within [Q.850] as location.  Thus
> other values are not within the scope of this document.
>
> Depending on whether the message is a request or a response the UAC
> or UAS SHALL include the location parameter when setting up the Reason
> header field with a [Q.850] cause.  This approach is only possible in cases
> when the ISUP [Q.850] location is available.
>
> NEW:
> Note: These are the values defined within [Q.850] as location.  Thus
> other values are not within the scope of this document. the 'LOC=*' names

I feel like this was probably my typo originally, but capital "The" and a
hyphen in "LOC-*" (not equals).

I still am not clear that "other values are not within the scope of this
document" is saying anything helpful, but that's not a blocking comment.