Re: [sipcore] SIPCORE Location Conveyance -00 submitted

"Thomson, Martin" <Martin.Thomson@andrew.com> Wed, 24 June 2009 23:24 UTC

Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 18:06:18 -0500
From: "Thomson, Martin" <Martin.Thomson@andrew.com>
To: "James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com>, sipcore@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [sipcore] SIPCORE Location Conveyance -00 submitted

Hi James,

I'll preface this email with the usual note that it's shocking how old this document is.  This is an important document from my perspective, and it needs to be published.

Your rewritten intro is a great improvement.  I didn't read in detail beyond this, but it's certainly much clearer.

I note that the example PIDF-LO documents still contain errors.  Refer to 5491 or one of my previous reviews for details.

The one major flaw that I highlighted in my WGLC comments to the former SIP WG remains.  The document does not establish strict semantics for the location it conveys.  Is the location information indicated in a Geolocation header belong to the entity identified in the From header?  Or is it the UAC that sends the request?  While this might seem intuitive, it's not.  To complicate things, the PIDF-LO can contain alternative identification information, there is a potential for confusion or conflict.

This document needs to be really clear about who the location belongs to within the context of the exchange.

--Martin