Re: [sipcore] Call for adoption/WGLC: draft-rosen-rph-reg-policy-00

Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com> Mon, 04 March 2013 22:05 UTC

Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2013 16:05:36 -0600
From: Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com>
To: sipcore@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [sipcore] Call for adoption/WGLC: draft-rosen-rph-reg-policy-00

repeating a thought just to make sure it was seen in this context

On 2/27/13 7:05 PM, DRAGE, Keith (Keith) wrote:
> Brian wrote:
>> I don't
>> think Specification Required is adequate -- I want IETF experts to review.
> If it is specification required then IETF experts will review.
>
>        Specification Required - Values and their meanings must be
>              documented in a permanent and readily available public
>              specification, in sufficient detail so that interoperability
>              between independent implementations is possible.  When used,
>              Specification Required also implies use of a Designated
>              Expert, who will review the public specification and
>              evaluate whether it is sufficiently clear to allow
>              interoperable implementations.  The intention behind
>              "permanent and readily available" is that a document can
>              reasonably be expected to be findable and retrievable long
>              after IANA assignment of the requested value.  Publication
>              of an RFC is an ideal means of achieving this requirement,
>              but Specification Required is intended to also cover the
>              case of a document published outside of the RFC path.  For
>              RFC publication, the normal RFC review process is expected
>              to provide the necessary review for interoperability, though
>              the Designated Expert may be a particularly well-qualified
>              person to perform such a review.
>
> So to be clear, it gets review as follows:
>
> -	by the experts involved in the original public specification by some other organization
> -	by the designated expert
>
> I am not sure that the designated expert has to be a single expert - it could be several people - the ADs just need to put it in place.
That means we have a small number of people that we could identify to
delegate review to for the whole community, and the community would
trust they would see all the potential issues a proposal brings. In this
case, I think we're not there yet, and
actually _do_ want full community review. As I said before, I think the
right thing to do is take incremental steps with this one.
Get some experience with IETF review, and shift to something that only
required expert review later.