Re: [sipcore] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC3261 (4553)

"Ben Campbell" <ben@nostrum.com> Mon, 07 December 2015 21:38 UTC

From: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
To: Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2015 15:38:07 -0600
Cc: SIPCORE <sipcore@ietf.org>, "sipcore-chairs@tools.ietf.org" <sipcore-chairs@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [sipcore] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC3261 (4553)

Hi,

I am inclined to mark this, as submitted, as "hold for update", which I
suspect is not what Christer wants to hear. There are two parts to this:

Adding "or if the Content-Disposition header field is missing" seems
reasonable. I have trouble imagining that the original intent was not
exactly that. But I would like to see a bit more discussion about
whether this is likely to cause unnecessary transaction failure. Would
we expect the UAS to reject any request that had a a body with an
unknown MIME type and no content-disposition?

The change from SHOULD to MUST second guesses the original intent. I
don't think we have a reason to think people really meant to write MUST.
Rather, I think this is more a (potentially reasonable) change in
expectations between then and now. Also, list discussion on that point
did not seem conclusive. It seem to me that if people want to make that
change, it needs to be in the form of an update.

Christer, you mentioned that this is causing deployment problems. Can
you elaborate on the nature of those problems?

Thanks!

Ben.