Re: [sipcore] [Editorial Errata Reported] RFC3261 (3237)

Brett Tate <brett@broadsoft.com> Thu, 31 May 2012 16:12 UTC

From: Brett Tate <brett@broadsoft.com>
To: Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com>, RFC Errata System <rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 09:12:39 -0700
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "jdrosen@dynamicsoft.com" <jdrosen@dynamicsoft.com>, "schooler@research.att.com" <schooler@research.att.com>, "rsparks@dynamicsoft.com" <rsparks@dynamicsoft.com>, "schulzrinne@cs.columbia.edu" <schulzrinne@cs.columbia.edu>, "sipcore@ietf.org" <sipcore@ietf.org>, "drage@alcatel-lucent.com" <drage@alcatel-lucent.com>, "jon.peterson@neustar.com" <jon.peterson@neustar.com>, "kpfleming@digium.com" <kpfleming@digium.com>, "mjh@icir.org" <mjh@icir.org>, "alan.johnston@wcom.com" <alan.johnston@wcom.com>, "dean.willis@softarmor.com" <dean.willis@softarmor.com>
Subject: Re: [sipcore] [Editorial Errata Reported] RFC3261 (3237)

There are normative MUST increment statements else within RFC 3261 concerning the topic.  Thus if a UAC or proxy is ignoring the indication to increment cseq, they should not be surprised if it results in a 482 response.

Section 22.2:

   "When a UAC resubmits a request with its credentials after receiving a
   401 (Unauthorized) or 407 (Proxy Authentication Required) response,
   it MUST increment the CSeq header field value as it would normally
   when sending an updated request."

Section 22.3:

  "The use of Proxy-Authenticate and Proxy-Authorization parallel that
   described in [17], with one difference.  Proxies MUST NOT add values
   to the Proxy-Authorization header field.  All 407 (Proxy
   Authentication Required) responses MUST be forwarded upstream toward
   the UAC following the procedures for any other response.  It is the
   UAC's responsibility to add the Proxy-Authorization header field
   value containing credentials for the realm of the proxy that has
   asked for authentication.

      If a proxy were to resubmit a request adding a Proxy-Authorization
      header field value, it would need to increment the CSeq in the new
      request.  However, this would cause the UAC that submitted the
      original request to discard a response from the UAS, as the CSeq
      value would be different."

8.2.2.2 Merged Requests

   If the request has no tag in the To header field, the UAS core MUST
   check the request against ongoing transactions.  If the From tag,
   Call-ID, and CSeq exactly match those associated with an ongoing
   transaction, but the request does not match that transaction (based
   on the matching rules in Section 17.2.3), the UAS core SHOULD
   generate a 482 (Loop Detected) response and pass it to the server
   transaction.

      The same request has arrived at the UAS more than once, following
      different paths, most likely due to forking.  The UAS processes
      the first such request received and responds with a 482 (Loop
      Detected) to the rest of them.