(sipp) E.164 mapping into IPv6

Dave Katz <dkatz@cisco.com> Fri, 05 August 1994 00:01 UTC

Date: Thu, 04 Aug 1994 09:12:03 -0700
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Dave Katz <dkatz@cisco.com>
To: sipp@sunroof.eng.sun.com
Cc: sipp@sunroof.eng.sun.com
Subject: (sipp) E.164 mapping into IPv6

My angle on stateless autoconfiguration is that any cookie that is
known to be unique within the topological scope of the rest of the
address can be wedged into the low order bits.  So E.164 is just fine.

I don't believe that there's any need to encode the "address family"
from which the low order bits were drawn (e.g., E.164, IEEE 802,
social security number) so long as the proper balance of scope and
uniqueness is maintained.  For instance, if an address has scope only
on the local subnetwork (such as a self-configured host address on a
LAN) and the hosts are using their data link addresses on that
subnetwork to build their addresses, there will be no possible
collision between address families (since there will only be one
address family in use).  The same can be enforced in any number of
more or less creative ways for global addresses by the address server
entity (it gets a little more complicated if the rest of the bits
address a blob bigger than a single subnetwork, but it's not all that
difficult).

addrconf-request@cisco.com, naturally).

I need to send out an official announcement, obviously...