RE: [Sipping-emergency] proposed charter, new wg on emergency calling and routing

"Marc Linsner" <mlinsner@cisco.com> Mon, 27 September 2004 19:16 UTC

From: Marc Linsner <mlinsner@cisco.com>
To: 'Brian Rosen' <br@brianrosen.net>, "'Peterson, Jon'" <jon.peterson@neustar.biz>, sipping-emergency@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [Sipping-emergency] proposed charter, new wg on emergency calling and routing
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:08:37 -0400
Cc: mankin@psg.com
Sender: sipping-emergency-bounces@ietf.org

I too agree this work is much needed.

Other comments in-line.....

I volunteer also.

> > In a number of areas the public switched telephone network
> (PSTN) has
> > been configured to recognize a short, easily memorized number as
> > a call for emergency services.   These numbers relate to an
> emergency
> > service context and depend on a broad, regional configuration of
> > service contact methods and a geographically constrained context of
> > service delivery.  Successful delivery of an emergency service call
> > within those systems requires both an association of the physical
> > location of the originator with an appropriate emergency service
> > center and call routing to deliver the call to the center.
> This is incorrect.  You don't always have a short number,
> choice of number is currently explicitly national (with the
> single exception of the EU 112 number primarily limited to
> mobile).  There is more to location within emergency calling
> besides "context" and there are more than location that may
> determine the appropriate call center.
>
> Perhaps:
> Calling for help using the publics switched telephone network
> (PSTN) is a primary function which must be provided for in
> any Internet based communication system.  Emergency calls for
> assistance are answered at special call centers.  An
> emergency call must be directed to the correct call center,
> which depends on the location of the caller and in some
> jurisdictions, the nature of the emergency.  The call itself
> must include the location either directly or indirectly.
> Prior to use for determining a call center location must be
> determined to be valid (known to the call center as a
> location to which help may be dispatched).

I don't believe the IETF should require validation, this is a local
decision.  The IETF can describe/develop the mechanism for validation, but
it is the user(s) to determine the requirement.

> > Calls placed using Internet technologies do not use the
> same systems
> > to achieve those goals, and the common use of overlay networks and
> > tunnels (either as VPNs or for mobility) makes meeting them more
> > challenging.
> Okay
>
> > There  are, however, Internet technologies available to describe
> > location and to manage call routing.  This working group
> will specify
> > how those technologies
> > may be used within this context.
> This presupposes that the available technologies are
> appropriate.  This might be true, but it might not.  Perhaps:
> Describing location and carriage of location within various
> protocols is defined in other IETF working groups.  This
> working group will specify how location, in both civic and
> geospatial forms can be validated and used to route calls.

Agree with Brian, if existing technologies can't fulfill the requirements,
something new will be needed.

> >Explicitly outside the scope of this
> > group
> > is the question of pre-emption or prioritization of
> emergency services
> >traffic.  This group is considering emergency services calls which
> >might be made by  any user of the PSTN or Internet, as opposed to
> >government or military  services that may impose very different
> >authentication  and routing  requirements.
> Is this an attempt to avoid the scope of IEPREP?  If so, it's
> incorrect. IEPREP is concerned with an entirely different
> kind of call - one made by a responder using the existing
> facilities using a priority.  Agree that this is out of
> scope.  There is no call for assistance (9-1-1/1-1-2) that
> has preemption that I am aware of.  Priority for emergency
> calls is often imposed by carriers, but rarely required.  If
> you intended to avoid IEPREP,
> perhaps:
> This group is concerned with calls made by ordinary users to
> request emergency assistance.  Emergency calls by responders
> using Internet facilities are the province of the IEPREP
> working group and out of scope for this working group.
>

> > The group will describe a layered approach to the problem,
> showing how
> > the availability of location data and call routing information at
> > different steps in session setup would enable communication
> between a
> > user and a relevant emergency service enter.
> It's not clear that there is any layering.  I think this
> wording doesn't advance anyone's understanding of what the
> work is.  Perhaps: This group will describe how location may
> be validated prior to use, and how validated location may be
> used to route calls to the correct emergency call center.

Validation is one process that would apply to civil locations only.

> >Though the term "call routing" is used in this document,
> > it
> > should be
> > understood that some of the mechanisms which will be
> described might
> >be  used  to
> > enable non-voice communications (e.g. text messaging) where
> appropriate.
> I'm not sure what is implied here.  There are two kinds of
> text messaging protocols that might be used: Instant
> messaging and interactive text streams.  Both have the notion
> of "session".  Perhaps: While current emergency calls are
> voice only, the Internet provides a variety of media streams
> that may be used to summon help.  This work will include
> voice, video and Instant Messaging as well as interactive text.
>

> > Deliverables:
> >
> > Informational RFC describing the problem
> >     (needs to be simple and early, early, early)
> >
> > BCP describing strategies for call originators identifying
> emergency
> > calls.
> >     (Including provisioning local targets and use of URIs)
> This is somewhat problematic as it overlaps protocol groups.
> Maybe need to qualify this as with the concurrence of such
> groups (I'm thinking SIPPING and XMPP).  Wording may need a
> hint of the "nature of the emergency" problem.
>

> > BCP describing strategies for associating call originators with
> > physical locations.
> >     (Both originator-based and network-based strategies)
> I'm not sure what is meant here.  Right now, I think most
> endpoints learn location from DHCP and supply it using
> SIP/XMPP with PIDF-LO.  It's worth saying that somewhere.  Is
> that what was intended by this?  I hope you did not intend to
> imply network based insertion of location in call flows; I
> think we are constrained by geopriv to have endpoints learn
> location and supply it on emergency calls.
>
> Need a new requirement
> Standards Track RFC describing how location is validated prior to use.

Again, civil location validation as required by the user(s).

> > Standards Track RFC describing a query protocol for
> Emergency Service
> > Context lookup  by physical location.  Update, insert, and
> > modification of the data
> > associated
> > with ERC's is out of scope for this work item.
> I don't see how you can ignore how the data is maintained. I
> suppose it depends on the query mechanism; if you choose the
> right query mechanism, there may already be mechanisms for
> maintaining data.
>
> >     (IRIS might be a candidate protocol here--it is a query only
> > protocol for registry data,
> >      which is one way to model the back end store mapping
> location to
> > ERC).
> This should be deleted.  You don't know what query mechanism
> to use.  If, for example, you use the DNS, than this is incorrect.

Agree with Brian, delete this statement as mechanism is
yet-to-be-determined.

> > BCP describing the call routing strategies for ip911.
> very poor choice of acronym; has U.S. implication.  Use ipSOS
>
> >     (e.g.:  does an ERC have a sip: URI to talk to, or do
> we need to
> > last mile via PSTN?)
> I suspect we DON'T want to work on migration strategies.
> Just assume the ERC can terminate a SIP call.  It's too late
> for IETF to wade into that one.
>

> > BCP describing how to discover ERC capabilities.
> >     (can a deaf person IM this center or can we route through a
> > relay?)
> I'm skeptical of this, again crosses protocol groups
> boundaries.   Problem
> does need to be solved.  Perhaps:
> BCP describing how routing may be affected by capabilities in
> the ERC or constraints on the caller (e.g. caller with
> disabilities engaging a relay service).
> >
> > Threats and security documentation
> >     (mainly pointers, but the pointers need to be gathered).
> >

> Brian

-Marc Linsner-