RE: [Sipping] Question on ReInvite procedures

Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@dynamicsoft.com> Fri, 31 August 2001 03:53 UTC

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@dynamicsoft.com>
To: 'Bert Culpepper' <bert.culpepper@intervoice-brite.com>, 'Hemant Agrawal' <hagrawal@telverse.com>, sipping@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [Sipping] Question on ReInvite procedures
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 23:41:17 -0400
Sender: sipping-admin@ietf.org

Actually, I do not think that the 3pcc document actually makes this
recommendation, nor does bis, as I can recall. At one time, we discussed
this as a strong recommendation in order to enable flow 2 from 3pcc. But,
since it was generally agreed that you can't REQUIRE this behavior,
especially when codec changes are involved, so flow 2 was not recommended.
Neither of the two recommended flows rely on a UA maintaining the same SDP.
Thus, while keeping the same address/port is probably a good idea, it is not
needed for the recommended 3pcc flows.

> RFC2543bis touches
> on this in
> appendix B but for a little different scenario.  That is,
> re-INVITE w/o
> SDP, 200 with "previous SDP" (offer), and ACK with SDP
> (answer).  In the
> first paragraph of section B.4 it states "... the offerer SHOULD offer
> the same SDP it provided previously if it has no reason to change
> anything."

Well, this scenario is a bit different. Here, we are talking about a
"triggered offer", where the UA is prodded into making an offer. In the case
above, we are talking about an answer to an offered SDP.

> It's up to implementers to comply with the recommendation
> above for 3pcc to work.

No, as I said, flow 2 is not recommended so you don't need this behavior.
What is needed is the ability to accept INVITE w/o SDP, since this is the
cornerstone of flows 1 and 3. When people ask me what is the most important,
yet most frequently overlooked SIP capability to implement in a UA, it is
that.

-Jonathan R.
---
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
jdrosen@dynamicsoft.com                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com