RE: [Sipping] draft-shacham-sip-media-privacy

"Zisimopoulos, Haris, VF-Group" <Haris.Zisimopoulos@vodafone.com> Fri, 05 August 2005 09:32 UTC

Subject: RE: [Sipping] draft-shacham-sip-media-privacy
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 10:31:38 +0100
From: "Zisimopoulos, Haris, VF-Group" <Haris.Zisimopoulos@vodafone.com>
To: Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>, sipping <sipping@ietf.org>
Sender: sipping-bounces@ietf.org

As it has been captured by the discussions for Dean's answer mode draft
we are interested (at least in the mobile context) in a functionality
that will provide:

A. UASs with the ability to indicate the fact that they prefer (or
mandate)that their incoming calls need to be answered manually (higher
privacy) or automatically (lower privacy) by them
B. UACs with the ability to indicate the fact that they prefer (or
mandate) that their initiated calls to be answered manually (higher
privacy) or automatically (lower privacy) by the terminating points

Particularly keeping in mind that there are SIP based solutions such as
PTT that allow automatic playout of the incoming voice stream without
requiring user's consent.

In my view therefore there seem to be use cases and requirements in a
mobile environment in particular, for "privacy mandating" calls, now
whether the "preconditions-like" approach is appropriate given it
requires e2e negotiation is something that needs to be further
investigated.

It also seems to be interesting to investigate the overlaps and
relationship in general with draft-willis-sip-answeralert-00.

Best regards,
Haris