[Sipping] Addressing the maxforwards issue (SIPPING work)

Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com> Wed, 01 March 2006 22:21 UTC

To: Sipping WG <sipping@ietf.org>
From: Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 16:21:07 -0600
Subject: [Sipping] Addressing the maxforwards issue (SIPPING work)

Based on the discussions in Vancouver and afterwards, we've split the
issues and solutions around problems with max-forwards among a few
drafts.

There are a couple of new SIP WG drafts providing an immediate
solution to
the amplification problem we discovered, and defining the mechanism for
returning useful information when max-forwards plays out.

The discussion around max-breadth was refined and removed to a
new individual submission in this group:
http://www.nostrum.com/~rjsparks/draft-sparks-sipping-max-breadth-00.txt
http://www.nostrum.com/~rjsparks/draft-sparks-sipping-max-
breadth-00.html

Dave Oran has repeatedly pointed us at more efficient loop detection
algorithms.
There is a new individual submission exploring this at
http://www.nostrum.com/~rjsparks/draft-campen-sipping-stack-loop-
detect-00.txt
http://www.nostrum.com/~rjsparks/draft-campen-sipping-stack-loop-
detect-00.html

All of these drafts have been submitted, and the links here are
provided for
convenience until the drafts appear in the repository.

RjS

p.s. I'm still considering how I feel and what to say about Dean's
divide and conquer
suggestion. The messages I just posted to SIP and SIPPING pointing to
this work
do seem to hint at some issues with creating any more administrative
containers that
involve separate lists (be those groups, directorates, working teams)
that we will need
to carefully explore.