RE: SV: Utility of Alert-Info(was:Re:[Sipping]draft-stucker-sipping-early-media-coping)

"Darshan Bildikar" <dbildikar@ipunity.com> Mon, 13 November 2006 05:36 UTC

From: Darshan Bildikar <dbildikar@ipunity.com>
To: 'Paul Kyzivat' <pkyzivat@cisco.com>, 'Gunnar Hellstrom' <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se>
Subject: RE: SV: Utility of Alert-Info(was:Re:[Sipping]draft-stucker-sipping-early-media-coping)
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 11:01:26 +0530
Cc: 'Cullen Jennings' <fluffy@cisco.com>, 'Dean Willis' <dean.willis@softarmor.com>, 'sipping' <sipping@ietf.org>, 'Brian Stucker' <bstucker@nortel.com>

My understanding was that RBT's are always generated by downstream entities
(in case of PSTN interop by the terminating gateways) and busy tones are
generated by local proxies. (Like in PSTN where the terminating switch
generates the RBT and the local switch generates the busy tone)

If we were to generate local RBT based on a URN namespace what would happen
if an RBT is also getting generated from the remote end? Are we supposed to
ignore it? If yes, then it would go against RFC 3264 that states that the UA
must be prepared to start receiving RTP immediately after sending an offer.
There is then the likelihood of two RBT's being played to the caller
simultaneously.