RE: [Sipping] Server Load Balancer Integration?

Steve Gardell <sgardell@iperia.com> Mon, 05 November 2001 19:44 UTC

From: Steve Gardell <sgardell@iperia.com>
To: 'Henning Schulzrinne' <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>, "'sipping@ietf.org'" <sipping@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: [Sipping] Server Load Balancer Integration?
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 14:21:02 -0500
Sender: sipping-admin@ietf.org

Thanks Henning!

I take this as an analysis of why this SLB
sort of technology sometimes isn't always necessary.
I'd love to convince myself that this is generally
true since the solution you propose is ever so
much easier and cheaper. We need to consider SIP
entities that aren't quite as "easy"
as a stateless proxy. For example, an array of
media servers or 3'rd party call control entities
in the fashion of draft-rosenberg-sip-3pcc-02.txt.

Let me test whether I understand what you propose: Implement
two stateless proxies (for redundancy). Access to these
is via DNS/SRV. Each stateless proxy directs calls
"intelligently" to the stateful entities (UAS, B2BUA, etc.)
This seems to work fine for load balancing (which was
of course the thread title...) Hmmm, do we really need
the stateless proxies for this? - I guess that depends on
whether the simple DNS mechanisms are deemed adequate.

SLB's in general also provide Failover/Redundancy support, which
I must admit, is at least as big a concern to me. I
believe that this DNS/SRV approach doesn't support mid-call
failures since I can't expect SIP UAC's or proxies to
re-try DNS during a call (can I?). I believe that the
SLB approach would support mid-call failures if state is
replicated across end-points.