Re: [Sipping] Some more thoughts on draft-haluska-sipping-directory-assistance-01.txt

Dale.Worley@comcast.net Mon, 15 January 2007 21:40 UTC

Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 16:40:15 -0500
To: sipping@ietf.org
From: Dale.Worley@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Sipping] Some more thoughts on draft-haluska-sipping-directory-assistance-01.txt

   From: "Haluska, John J" <jhaluska@telcordia.com>

   >* The range of business models considered seems to be quite narrow:
   >
   >   There are several network scenarios which must be supported:
   >
   >   Services are provided by the caller's home provider.
   >
   >   Services are provided a third party provider which has direct SIP
   >   layer connectivity as well as business relationships with the
   >   caller's home provider.
   >
   >   Services are provided a third party provider which has no direct SIP
   >   layer connectivity and no business relationships with the caller's
   >   home provider.
   >
   >For instance, consider "Services are provided a third party provider
   >which has direct SIP layer connectivity but no business relationships
   >with the caller's home provider. " and "Services are provided a third
   >party provider which has no business relationships with the caller,
   >but does have a business relationship with another third party
   >provider which has a direct business relationship with the caller."
   >And I expect a little thought could construct many other cases.  Any
   >proposed mechanisms should work in a broad range of business models.

   JH - yes. I've also been thinking that SPEERMINT might have some
   thoughts about this, since a lot of what they deal with is driven
   by business relationships between providers.

Permit me to suggest that you might consider information services that
are *not* driven by business relationships between providers, but are
freely chosen by the customers, outside the control of their
communication providers.

Indeed, let me make that statement stronger -- If you propose a
mechanism that constrains SIP users to only use information services
chosen and approved by their communication providers, and that
mechanism is somehow implemented, thousands of "net-heads" will work
night and day to subvert that control by the communication providers.

That is what is called "an open network".

The economic driver of Internet adoption is freeing users from the
control of their communication providers, and many people are very
passionate about that.  Do not attempt to standardize (though the
IETF!) an approach that the Internet community sees as necessary to
destroy.

Remember: VoIP was started by people who didn't want to pay the high
international voice charges between Israel and the US.

Dale